Carabao Cup elimination for Manchester City comes courtesy of Newcastle United

The goal scored by Alexander Isak in the second half put the Magpies into the next round.

After defeating Manchester City by a score of 1-0 on Wednesday evening, Newcastle United advanced further in the Carabao Cup to compete against teams from the Premier League.

The men led by Eddie Howe struggled through a difficult beginning but began to show signs of life just before the break. Alexander Isak scored the game’s lone goal once play was resumed, allowing the runners-up from the previous year to advance while also dealing Pep Guardiola’s team their first loss of the season through the first 90 minutes of play.

Although they got off to a great start, Manchester City did not have an opportunity to score until the 18th minute. Youngster Oscar Bobb made the pass that found Julian Alvarez, and the Argentine’s shot from a narrow angle required Nick Pope to make a save with the right foot that he had extended.

As the away team started to assert their authority on the game, Alvarez blasted another opportunity wide of the goal. Meanwhile, Newcastle failed to put together any form of prolonged possession.

It took until the final moments of the first half for Newcastle to get into City’s box for the first time, and when they did, they should have scored to make the score 1-0. Isak was able to find Jacob Murphy, and after he took a couple of touches, he attempted to slot his effort into the far bottom corner of the goal. However, Stefan Ortega was able to prevent him from scoring by denying it with his foot.

That momentum was carried over into the second half by the home team, and they gained the lead for the first time in the 53rd minute. Isak was able to finish off the play at the far post after receiving a pass from Joelinton, who had just entered the penalty area.

It took until the 75th minute for City to obtain their first attempt on target of the second half, which was taken by Jack Grealish, who cut inside and fired an effort that Pope comfortably dealt with.

Anthony Gordon nearly sealed the deal for Newcastle in the dying minutes of the match as City ratcheted up the pressure; however, the shot he took from a narrow angle was directed directly at Ortega.

Almost immediately after that, the substitute Jeremy Doku found Rico Lewis, but the 18-year-old could only drag his effort well wide from 25 yards out in what turned out to be City’s only chance of the evening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *