F1 homeowners purchase MotoGP for an astronomical price

It was an open secret and on Monday, April 1 it turned official; Liberty Media, proprietor of the F1 World Championship rights, has made official the acquisition of Dorna Sports activities S.L.

The administrators of the Grand Circus are going to pay an enormous sum of money to take over the championship that has Marc Marquez, Pecco Bagnaia, Jorge Martin and rookie Pedro Acosta as stars. There’s discuss of a determine within the area of 4.2 billion euros.

Ferrari’s star Oliver Bearman orders a uncommon cappuccino at a coffeeshop

It ought to be remembered that Dorna shouldn’t be solely in command of the premier class of motorcycling (MotoGP), Moto2 and Moto3, one thing they’ve been doing since 1992.

It additionally controls the World Superbike Championship (WSBK), the place Alvaro Bautista has been topped champion within the final two years, and the MotoE World Cup (Jordi Torres is twice champion of the electrical class; final 12 months Mattia Casadei gained).

As well as, the brand new FIM Girls’s Circuit Racing World Championship has been added in 2024.

Carmelo Ezpeleta, who has been CEO of Dorna since 1994, will stay in his job. One other factor that continues to be the identical is the headquarters, which is able to keep in Madrid.

Liberty Media shouldn’t be going to take over the entire of Dorna. Within the assertion launched to the media, they’ve specified that they may have 86% management. The remaining 14% will probably be within the arms of the corporate headed by Ezpeleta.

Lastly, it ought to be famous that the acquisition is predicted to be accomplished by the top of 2024.

Reactions after the acquisition was made official

Greg Maffei, President and CEO of Liberty Media, has expressed his satisfaction with the acquisition.

“We’re thrilled to develop our portfolio of main stay sports activities and leisure belongings with the acquisition of MotoGP,” he mentioned.

“MotoGP is a world league with a loyal, enthusiastic fan base, fascinating racing and a extremely money circulation generative monetary profile. Carmelo and his administration crew have constructed an awesome sporting spectacle that we are able to develop to a wider international viewers.”


In the meantime, Ezpeleta mentioned: “That is the proper subsequent step within the evolution of MotoGP, and we’re excited for what this milestone brings to Dorna, the MotoGP paddock and racing followers.

“We’re pleased with the worldwide sport we have grown, and this transaction is a testomony to the worth of the game at present and its development potential.

“Liberty has an unimaginable observe document in growing sports activities belongings and we couldn’t want for a greater companion to develop MotoGP’s fanbase world wide.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *