The Buffalo Payments have one of many NFL’s greatest offenses, defenses, a stable fanbase and a stable teaching employees. However a call by its star QB to grace the quilt of Madden NFL 24 could have ruined its season. Josh Allen, nonetheless thought-about by most a Prime-3 NFL QB, leads the league in turnovers (15) in any place group and the perpetrator seams clear: the ‘Madden Curse’.
Madden is american soccer’s hottest online game franchise, since its inception in 1988. With 20 years of legendary Corridor-of-Fame NFL coach John Madden gracing the quilt of the sport, then adopted 23 NFL star gamers. Over time, a sample then began to emerge: the professionals in query started to have horrid seasons, with some even leaving the league totally.
What gave the impression to be a coincidence at first, then had hordes of followers believing within the superstition. EA Sports activities itself even publicly denied the existence of mentioned curse, which reveals simply how well-liked the idea grew to become.
Victims of the ‘Madden Curse’ all through the years
The Madden curse began off with a bang with its first ever participant cowl in 2000: Barry Sanders. The legendary Detroit Lions RB abruptly retired in 1999 and by no means even stepped on the sphere that season. Three victims instantly adopted in Eddie George (2001), Daunte Culpepper (2002) and Marshall Faulk (2003). The primary misplaced a profession variety of fumbles that 12 months, the second threw for under 14 TDs and 13 INTs, and the latter by no means topped 1,000 yards for the remainder of his profession.
Then got here Michael Vick (2004). The speedy QB fractured his fibula lower than every week after the sport’s launch, he then ended up in jail simply 4 years later. After numerous extra victims, the Detroit Lions’ Calvin Johnson (2013) lastly broke the curse with a profession season, posting 1,964 receiving yards.
The overwhelming majority, nonetheless, noticed a dire destiny after they accepted being on the quilt of the Madden franchise. Seemingly, one can already begin including Josh Allen (2024) to that checklist…
All cursed and non-cursed gamers on cowl of Madden NFL
- 2000: Detroit Lions RB Barry Sanders (cursed)
- 2001: Tennessee Titans RB Eddie George (cursed)
- 2002: Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper (cursed)
- 2003: Rams RB Marshall Faulk (cursed)
- 2004: Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick (cursed)
- 2005: Baltimore Ravens LB Ray Lewis (NOT cursed)
- 2006: Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb (cursed)
- 2007: Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander (cursed)
- 2008: Titans QB Vince Younger (cursed)
- 2009: Packers/Jets QB Brett Favre (cursed)
- 2010: Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald & Steelers S Troy Polamalu (1 of two cursed)
- 2011: New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees (cursed)
- 2012: Cleveland Browns RB Peyton Hillis (cursed)
- 2013: Lions WR Calvin Johnson (NOT cursed)
- 2014: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson (cursed)
- 2015: Seahawks CB Richard Sherman (NOT cursed)
- 2016: New York Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. (NOT cursed)
- 2017: New England Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski (cursed)
- 2018: Patriots QB Tom Brady (NOT cursed)
- 2019: Steelers WR Antonio Brown (cursed)
- 2020: Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes (NOT cursed)
- 2021: Ravens QB Lamar Jackson (NOT cursed)
- 2022: Buccaneers QB Tom Brady, Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes (NOT cursed)
- 2024: Payments QB Josh Allen (cursed)